Friday, March 9, 2012

Quick & easy DIY air freshener

I've been rather lacking on the blog scene, considering that I'm new. Shame on me. A few weeks ago I hit up some estate sales while Mom was in town, and made some awesome scores. I found a trunk and a small dresser for $5 each, and a few nifty old school jars. I've been busy fixing them up, and when I get them all spiffed up, I intend to make a post about them. However, in the mean time, I discovered a nifty way to make an air freshener in about 5 minutes.

Here's what you need:
Purex crystals fabric softener












This is my favorite scent. I love using it for laundry because it smells up my laundry room and kitchen. Yum!
You will also need a canning jar with a two part lid- the ring and seal type, a small square of fabric big enough to cover the top of your jar, and a pair of pinking shears.

I didn't take any pics of the process, but it's beyond easy, so no biggie. Take your jar- it doesn't matter what size. I used a pint jar because that's what I had, but a smaller jar would work just as well. In fact, probably better. Pour in some of the Purex Crystals. I put about an inch in my jar. This is where the smaller jar would work better- you could use a smaller amount and not have the empty space showing in the jar. Trim your fabric piece with pinking shears so it doesn't ravel. Place it over the top of the jar and screw the ring down over the top. Ta-da! All done. If you wanted to use these as a gift (which I intend to do, as part of a DIY gift basket for household goodies) you could put the seal on the jar, then the fabric, then the lid to hold the smell goods in until it gets to the recipient. Even decorate it with a ribbon or a label. Get crazy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment